Sunday, May 8, 2011

Excising a Dysmorphia Demon

This one is some deep shit... if you came to laugh, today is not for you.  I contemplated not posting this.  Then I thought... FUCK IT this is MY blog!  I don’t mind people knowing who I am and what I think.  So... if you choose to move ahead.  Hold on.  This one hurts...
I feel like an ocean of panic; an ebb and flow of fear as consistent as the tides.  I’m worried about this surgery.... I’m more worried about what’s leading me to it and where it will go from there.
I’m well aware I have a dysmorphia issue.  What I see in the mirror is not representative of what the rest of the world experiences in my presence.  I find my reflection an assault on the eyes.  I see an ugly monster.  I see obesity.  I’m choosing to intervene on a portion of that vision in order to find long overdue acceptance.  But I’m a realist...
Since I was a small child I can remember the deep seeded hate that I felt toward my body, mainly my stomach.  I’ve tried unsuccessfully to short circuit the emotional pain emanating from it.  The only time that I have loved and cherished this piece of flesh was when I carried my son.  I wish I could find that love for it now... it was his vessel into this world.  Instead, the moment he was given the space to breathe his own air... I once again saw it as a malignancy; something to be hated.  Now that it’s surgical removal is imminent... I can feel the malignancy traveling elsewhere; finding a new target to hate and obsess over.  Last week’s phone call to the doctor’s office, the agreement to move forward, created a shift.  Since setting the date to go under the knife, I’ve felt the dark cloud shift.  The malignancy stretched and grew... uprooted itself and locked in on a new target.  An area that is not being modified is set to take the emotional wrath of something deep, something angry, that still lingers trapped inside of me.  I’m fascinated by this awareness but yet have no control over the irrational response when I find myself once again going under in a sea of self loathing.  
The neuroses I experience and manage every day are far louder than those around me encounter.  I try to hush the dysmorphia noise by exercising but no matter what I do I merely tire it temporarily, I never exhaust it into submission.  Oh, what I wouldn’t give to silence the beast that that has tormented a large portion of my existence.  
I now know that removing this flesh will not attenuate the problem.  What I’m looking forward to is waking up one morning, after 34 years and loving my tummy.  Not awaking to a fanny pack of lard that is a reminder of a misfortune of genetics.  I want to put on jeans without a floodgate of tears unleashing years of repressed angst. 
So this, my friends, is the initial reason for seeking cosmetic surgery.  I would like to silence this misguided orchestra that’s playing a disorganized symphony of dysmorphia.  I’m now recognizing that I need to find the space to allow peace and acceptance into the limited time I have left in this shape.  I want to approach this surgery with love for the alteration, with love for the years of health I have been afforded and will continue to have.  I do hope, in releasing these words into an environment of unpredictable eyes that this post... this vulnerability, will reach someone else with the same suffering and they too will try to find a moment to accept and love with or without surgical intervention.  
Underneath a facade of sarcasm lives something troubled.  I hope by releasing this blog (and potentially disappointing those looking for a laugh) a small portion of my ‘issue’ will break free, piercing a festering wound and initiating some healing.  Catharsis... Here I come!
I guess this is now bipolar Ashley.... who knows if you’ll be crying or laughing when you sign up for this blog!  Geez, I exhaust myself.  =D

5 comments:

  1. I did read this one. You are beautiful Ashley and can dead lift more than any girl at the gym .. . that is a gift, not any body can do that. You always make me laugh and you are wonderful to be around. Don't forget the power of the internal transforms what is external!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent you a message via FB

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a teenager I read a short story by Kurt Vonnegut called "Unready to Wear" (it's in the collection Welcome to the Monkey House). It had a profound impact on me. The message I took away from it was that what makes a person who they really are has nothing to do with their body, that bodies are really only useful for getting around and doing things, but the essence of a person has nothing to do with how they look or even feel physically. But he illustrates this in such a creative, unexpected way. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot thank you enough for your blog. I found you by googling "crossfit and tummy tuck". Not sure which is my favorite funny entry but Yoga 3-2-1 and Deadlifts and Duct Tape are in the running. However, this entry is my overall favorite. I appreciate your raw honesty as I can absolutely relate to your situation. I have loathed my lower abdomen my entire life and the only time I cherished that part of my body was when I was pregnant with my 3 children. I am scheduled for my surgical intervention on Oct 5th. Very nervous about the whole procedure and especially how it may interfere with my CrossFit regimen. Thanks for sharing both the humorous stuff as well as the deep shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I found this blog, too. I googled the exact same thing as you just now! Mine is planned for this coming summer. I used to be blessed with a flat stomach. 3 c-sections left me with my own kangaroo pouch, and no matter how much I deadlift, and even though I consider sit-ups "rest" in a WOD, the skin just gets floppier and more numb.
      I'm curious how your surgery went. How long until you were back in the gym? How long until you looked at your stomach and felt at peace?

      Delete